Wednesday, February 5, 2014

How do I know I am on the right path?


How do I know that I am doing what God wants me to do?
While leading a small group discussion during a retreat held this weekend, a 17 year old boy with tears in his eyes asked me: “But how do I know I am on the right path? How do I know I am doing what God wants me to do?” This boy just asked me the very same questions that I had been holding in my own heart. For that reason I could not quite answer him as fully as maybe someone else could. All I could tell him was about my personal faith and relationship with God. I told him about realizing that a relationship with God is one that works both ways. Just like any other relationship, it is rooted in communication. The more we talk with God, the more we know Him; the more we know our own self. This weekend was so filling and rewarding, never have I played such a part in bringing people to Christ – this weekend I was though. Not only were dozens of children discovering their faith, I was blessed to reaffirm mine.
On Monday, while in a park exploring Tampa, the question of the weekend returned to me “how do I know I am on the right path?” The sign I needed was given to me; a yellow butterfly seeming to appear out of nowhere flew by me guiding the literal path I was on. With no doubt in my mind, the butterfly was my Mother. She came to tell me not only that the path I am on is the right one but more importantly that she is with me - guiding me. For those of you who know me and my family, yellow is the color we associate with Mom since her passing.  Almost poetically, I later found myself sitting on a bench in the park and painted in yellow were the words “love” and “be happy”.
I am on the right path, I am doing what God wants me to do – not only that but I have my mother’s support and guidance through it all.
I stand in awe of the individuals who have come into my life during these past few weeks. I am so blessed.
Peace, love and hugs to all of you – sending warm thoughts to my family and friends currently buried in snow (I won’t mention the warm sun that is currently shining on me as I write this). Thinking of my Scranton friends, especially those of you who just began your last semester – enjoy every moment of it, it surely does fly by.
Lastly, a few people have asked me my address, here it is:
6400 E. Chelsea Street
Tampa, FL 33610


No comments:

Post a Comment