Monday, March 31, 2014

St. Joseph, Pray for Us

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself terribly busy doing work that quite simply I did not enjoy. The reason I did not enjoy it and struggled through it is because I failed to see Christ in compiling an excel spreadsheet. I think often times we find ourselves doing tasks that we know are necessary; yet, they are menial or tedious. It so happened that I was praying the novena to St. Joseph at the same time I was struggling through the assignment. About halfway through the novena is the prayer to the worker.  The excerpt below really struck me and helped me carry out the rest of the assignment. Let us not fear calling on God or the saints to provide us grace and strength.


Saint Joseph, I thank God for your privilege of being able to work side by side with Jesus in the carpenter shop of Nazareth. As a token of your own gratitude to God, obtain for me the grace to respect the dignity of labor and ever to be content with the position in life, however lowly, in which it may please Divine Providence to place me. Teach me to work for God and with God in the spirit of humility and prayer, as you did, so that I may offer my toil in union with the sacrifice of Jesus in the Mass as a reparation for my sins, and gain rich merit for heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment